Maritime VHF Radio Operator (6 hours)
Aim: To learn correct Marine VHF Radio Operation. The minimum legal requirement to operate a marine radio.
Course Content: Routine operation, safety, distress and urgency.
Qualification: Marine VHF Radio Operators Qualification. Unit Standard 19491 available.
1. Routine Operation
Common features & functions
Pro-words & phonetic alphabet
Call signs & channel allocation
3. Distress & Urgency
"Mayday" & "Pan" calls
EPIRB and SAR
The Marine VHF Radio Operator assessment is only available within New Zealand.
Why it is important to use a Marine VHF Radio:
- To communicate distress immediately
- Continuous contact with search and rescue nationwide
- To hear other boaties in distress
- To get regular weather updates
- A cell phone lets you talk to one person, a VHF lets you talk to many people
- It could save your life in an emergency
Course Fee: $116.00 per person.
Coastguard Northern Region Members can book on the VHF Radio Operator courses listed below for $99.00 pp! Please book by selecting the member option below (online bookings subject to member verification) or phone during office hours on 0800 262 843 or e-mail email@example.com
*Only applies to Northern Region Members and the courses listed below.
Last updated: 16 May 2017